Reader question: I want to build a stockpile like those I see on TV, but where do I start?
Building a stockpile takes time, trust me!!
The whole point of stockpiling is when you get items for FREE or close to it, then you stock up. What I will tell you is take inventory of the items you currently use; from hygiene products to the food that you buy. This will give you an idea of what items to look out for when building your stockpile.
- The best way to start your stockpile would be to compare prices from your local grocery stores and drug stores. I post weekly match up for Ralphs, Stater Bros, Albertsons, CVS and Walgreens. This should make it easier for you to determine which items to stock up on.
- When building your stock pile, please keep in mind that sales circulate every 3-4 months. So I would buy just enough to get you to that next sale or if you are like me, I buy enough supply for my family and many others.
- Continue to stock up on FREE or nearly FREE items as they come on sale. If deodorant is at a stock up price again this month after you just bought 10 deodorants last month, do not hesitate to grab some more. This is crucial to building your stockpile.
- When building your stock pile, you have to be willing to try other brands. That’s not to say that your favorite brands won’t go on sale, but the other product may be cheaper…or even FREE!. I am a Dove lover. I will use other brands until my Dove goes on sale at a price that I am willing to pay.
- Willing to pay..That has to be determined by you. At what price are you willing to stock up? If you currently pay $2.50 for deodorant, at what price would you be willing to pay to buy multiples of that deodorant?
- Be careful when starting your stockpile. As you begin to realize that you can get items for FREE, we can easily get caught into stockpiling things we don’t need. Make sure to buy things that you and your family will use or items that you feel comfortable donating.
If you are just starting to use coupons or would like some tips, visit my Tipsy Tuesday post