1. Attend a matinee movie: Matinee movies are less expensive that attending a movie during the latter part of the day. In my area, a matinee movie cost $5 while a movie in the evening cost $7.50.
2. Check into specials: Cinemark has summer special for kids where they can see 10 movies for $5. Of course they are not the latest and greatest, but it is entertainment for the kids. They also allow you to sign up for emails that offer specials on movies and concession stand food.
3. Eat before going to the movies: Have you seen the prices at the concession stands lately? $10 for popcorn, $8 for a hot dog, $7 for a soda (You may think these prices are dramatic, but they are not that far from actual). It is better to eat a snack or meal prior to going to the movies, this will help you avoid the concession stand.
4. Seek out concession values: Now I know I said to eat prior to going to the movies, but what if you decided to go to the movies at the last minute and you want a snack. Okay, by all means, go the concession stand but check to see if they have concession values first. What I mean by this is my local movie theatre, Cinemark offers a great value on their drinks and popcorn. You purchase a Large Popcorn and Soda and you can use the cup and popcorn bucket year round and it will only cost you $3 per fill up.
5. Skip 3D & IMAX and see it in 2D instead: My husband took all of us to see the Avengers in IMAX 3D and I am almost ashamed to tell you how much the tickets were…Okay, I’ll tell ya…over $40 for $4 people…okay more like $50. It was a treat for the boys, but we don’t do that too often. Actually when you see a movie in 3D, the ticket prices rise by another $2-$3
I know that I said I was going to give you 5, but I have one more just for fun.
6. Stay home: Stay home and have movie night instead. My hubby and I are movie buffs and own a lot of movies on DVD/Blue-Ray and we have movie nights at least 2 or 3 times per week. The good thing about watching movies at home is that you can pause it when you need to take a potty break, can get comfortable and don’t have to worry about people talking on their cellphones during the movie.
What are some things that you do to help save money at the movies?